Now we’re going to look at a couple more internet dongles that seem to have been made for the lower budget market (or in other words students!) The last two under scrutiny today are from O2 and 3 Mobile, two big names in wireless internet services…
First let’s look at 3 Mobile and see what they have to offer the average student, who presumably already has a laptop computer:
- The Dongle is free with this wireless internet deal
- Monthly price of £7.50 after this though. When they put a price like this on a dongle deal aimed at students, personally i think they are insulting the average student’s intelligence. A free dongle doesn’t cut it when you can buy one from Vodafone for £19.99 and only pay £3.00 a month after your initial dongle purchase. This initial payout is soon recuperated by the monthly costs.
- 1 GB of usage allowance. This isn’t too bad, and it beats the hell out of Orange’s 500Mb offer at the moment. However, they still don’t beat Vodafone’s 3GB allowance.
- 7.2Mb speed
- 24 month contract. This is an unlikley thing for buyers of student dongles.
Now it’s the turn of O2
- Free dongle with O2. Just the same as 3 Mobile here.
- Monthly cost of £10.00 with this dongle deal. This isn’t too bad compared with 3 Mobile because O2 offer the first 3 months free. However, £10 a month after that will soon make up the difference between the two providers won’t it?
- Usage of 1GB a month. Same as 3 Mobile here.
- 7.2Mb speed
- 18 month contract.
Well there you have it. Both these dongles compare pretty much the same, but they will not beat Vodafone at the moment for the student market. I think that the contract length will put many people off. Just the word contract is enough to put me off!